Thursday, June 17, 2010

Last few days

The last few days have been a bit of a blur; I've been in an out of school, taking the necessary final exams and leaving out the global exams that some high achievers take to raise their grade. Don't get me wrong, I would do it if it didn't entail studying the entire year's worth of course material for each of my 10 academic subjects here. I've been heading to the gym more and more, trying to train for my bike trip across Europe with the few spin classes offered there. Allison (the other American from my program) and I went to our team dinner and last practice, which finally brought a sense of reality to me: we are leaving. And it doesn't seem like it, but my five months in Spain are coming to a close.
With only two days left, I think about how fast it has gone by. It's been such a ride - going from the slowest month of my life, not understanding anything, struggling constantly, always surrounded by people yet feeling more isolated than ever - to the fastest four months, making new friends, learning to think in a different way, studying for nearly impossible tests, and playing soccer with the craziest girls I have ever known. I am still unsure about how I feel about going home though. Of course I want to go back to my family. But now I have something to think about that I did not fully anticipate; I am also leaving my family.
Much more than I could have predicted, I have become part of my "host" family. I realized this a few weeks ago when I just stopped saying "host" before "sisters" to refer to Patricia and Natalia, and everyone knew exactly who I was talking about. I remember my first night here. People always say that when you bring a puppy home, the first night you are supposed to leave it alone, let it get it's bearings. Fonsey and Carlos were all smiles, and I was like Patricia and Natalia's new puppy. They were so interested in me, and were clearly holding back, afraid they might scare or startle me. What a contrast from how we've grown. Now we argue, hit each other, laugh together, insult each other, and do nearly everything together, like siblings. My relationship with the girls is what has taught me more than anything about life here, but I'm not an observer, or the observed anymore. I'm an active agent in the family, even in the school community - which is definitely something I never expected.
It makes it harder packing up my room knowing that now, I have finally made a little place for myself. What's more, I can't even figure out how to pack. But that is a different story, and I will be sure to let you know when I finally get it sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment