Monday, February 1, 2010

El Primer Dia con la Familia de Acogida

Carson, our program coordinator, dressed in slim black slacks, black leather shoes, and a fitted pinstriped oxford. Upon beginning our orientation, he told us he'd lived in Spain for four years, deciding to do so after he did a homestay in the Canary Islands as a high school junior. He then passionately proceeded to go through the rules:

1) DON'T RIDE MOTORCYLCES (he added emphasis with multiple finger wags, just to make sure the message got across to the Germans and Austrians as well)
2) Don't drink alcohol (well, unless you are with your host family, or at dinner, or at a restaurant...)
3) Try the food.
4) Go to school (we were all on student visas)

Then, he explained some cultural norms - directness in conversation, late nights, a "different approach" to privacy, lots of food, and, above all, the importance of the Spanish mother. He described the home as the kingdom and the mother was the queen. We were to leave the doors to our rooms open unless we were changing; it's important to show that you welcome the company of any family member, especially the mother - it is, after all, her house.

After arriving in Salamanca and meeting my host family - Natalia, 11 years; Patricia, 14 years; Fonsy and Juan Carlos, my host parents, - I noticed many, many differences in their day to day lives. First of all, they eat five times a day, starting with a light breakfast, el desayuno. Then, mid morning, they have a snack. Then they eat a light lunch, el almuerzo, and at around 2, everyone stops for el comer, the most important meal of the day. A few hours later it's time for la cena, or dinner. Juan Carlos made crepes for dinner on my first night.

There are a few other differences I've noticed aside from food (though, most customs here seem to revolve around eating). For example, getting up at 6:30 to go for a run is practically unheard of - probably due to the fact that most people don't eat dinner before 9:00 or 10:00. While at lunch with my host parents, Miguel, a family friend, told me that it's more probable to find people coming home at 7 am than to find them leaving the house. Another huge difference I've noticed is that every time you greet someone (friend, sibling, stranger), you kiss them on both cheeks. Every time.

Now, it's around 11:30 (23:26 - 12 = 11:26) and my host parents are both awake, but Natalia and Patricia have gone to bed. I have my first day of school and soccer tomorrow. So far my time has been fantastic, and I have a feeling school isn't going to change that. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool, good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete