Thursday, January 28, 2010

Leaving Home


At 7:30, I said goodbye to my family for the last time. We sat an an airport restaurant and I scarfed down the last fresh vegetables I'd be likely to get for 12 hours. My sister gave me a card and my brother gave me a hug, and I couldn't help but try to prolong the moment. They waved to me as I passed through security. I expected to hear the call for boarding at any minute, but it has been hours, and I am still sitting in the terminal, waiting for my flight.
Initially, a delay of two hours was announced, due to bad weather. Then, a further delay was announced, pushing my 8:00 pm departure to 11:45, and making my connection from London to Barcelona a virtual impossibility. The second delay, we were told, was due to the fact that the plane had been struck by lightening. I should be panicking, but I'm not. Airports always make me feel independent. Sitting by the gate, I feel like I'm at the threshold of the world, and, despite the formal bustle and sustained chaos that is unique to such a setting, I actually enjoy the atmosphere. And it's really not that bad, especially when, according to the television in the corner, the Celtics are winning.
I'll take that as a good omen.



4 comments:

  1. i like your posts... :) and i think im your first comment...so i feel priveledged.. i love you and i hope you dont get struck by lightening! keep this up, it is entertaining and quite informative! :D xoxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is absolutely lovely, you have such an intriguing voice. I hope you have a great time in Spain, sweetie!

    Love, your big sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog, Caroline! What a great writer you are. I can't wait for the next installments to unfold.

    Love,

    Your Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! it's really cool sound like you had a fun night! i miss you and i love you!

    love kia

    ReplyDelete